A blog on anything & everything with some Muay Thai sprinkled in. And let the games begin...

Monday, June 20, 2011

This Weekend, I Went to Chi-Town City

Have you ever had one of those weekends when you look back on it a few days later and realize the following?

  1. I spent more money in the past 3 days than I did in the past 3 weeks.
  2. Most of the people I met probably think I'm insane. (For reference, see this Wikipedia definition)
  3. I need to invest in Segway (The Segway Tour was the best part of the trip)
  4. I consumed > 4,000 calories per day. Including McDonalds. #epicmealtime
  5. AND IT WAS SICKKKKKK. (with "SICKKKKK" being defined as a) no puking, b) having pictures to remember and c) having things drawn on you when you are sleeping) 

Usually a "good" weekend in New York may consist of one, two or maybe even three of the above points. However, this past weekend visiting Chicago, I may have pushed the limit. In the end, I think I made some really good friends and have a few craZ stories. (shouts to Spike, Brawl & My Hero for hosting me! Love you guys, I know I'm an absolute terror dream to live with.)

Now that I've had a few days to digest and really think about it, I wanted to try and compare life in New York vs. life in Chicago to see if I could ever live there myself.

IMHO:

#1 - Degenerate (nyc lingo) vs. Delinquent (chicago style)
Fun Fact: Both places have a word for guys who like to party.

The truth is that I'm beginning to realize more and more that Filipinos are pretty similar everywhere. In both places, guys just love to rip-on each other and chill and take whiskey shots. It obviously always makes for a great time. Both Chicago & NYC folk like to party.

(In other news, I learned this awesome new game called The Box that I will soon be bringing EAST! stay tuned.)

That being said, since a lot of people in the Chicago area live in the suburbs and need to drive into the city to party (It befuddles me.). And since we're all responsible young adults (sometimes), NYC wins.


#2 - "Sports Craziness" - Cubs vs. Yankees
One of the first things I did upon booking my trip to Chi was looking up tickets to go see the Cubs play at Wrigley Field. Even though I really don't consider myself a giant baseball fan, I can appreciate its history & significance. The place is really beautiful. Chilling in the park and sipping Old Style was a memorable experience for me.

They were also playing the Yankees which was pretty crazy. There were a looot more Yanks fans than I expected. I wore a fitted cap, but there were definitely a lot of people in full gear. But nothing beats Cubs fans, who love to drink during the games.


#3 - "Fatness"
Chicago deep dish pizza? Probably a bit overrated.
Chicago style hot dogs, mustard, relish, a full pickle, tomatoes, onions and peppers)? Weird, but good.
Hot Dougs? Amazing. (anyone who has ever had it can attest)
Still, can't ever beat Chicken & Rice.


#4 - "Architectural Beauty"
 jk. who really cares. although for the record, nothing in the world compares to New York.

#5 - "We're Just Ordinary People"
It's a well known fact that living in New York numbs you to a lot of things. I honestly believe it's the only city in the world that nothing ever surprises you. Think about it. Homeless man relieving himself on the subway? eh. Couples pushing the limit of public decency in a back alley at 3 AM? big deal. Someone getting mugged/robbed/shot outside your apartment? it happens.

Now, compare this to life in the Chicago where people are just generally nice. Call it the Midwestern charm. But would anyone in New York really go 30 minutes out of their way to drive a friend and his stranger friend home? Doubt it. (+1 Chi-Town)

All in all, I loved Chicago - but I don't think anything compares to New York. 

Crazy start to the summer, I wonder how it's going to end.....

Peace & Love,
MKP

1 comment:

  1. Chi til I die. Thanks for the shout out. You didn't say anything about my fat crib though.

    ReplyDelete